Who is GreenHomes America?
GreenHomes America has been in business since 1981 and is the largest single-source provider of home performance solutions in the country having served over 10,000 families. GreenHomes has been awarded NYSERDA’s Outstanding Achievement in Home Performance every year since 2001. We have offices operating in New York, New Jersey, Maine, Utah and throughout California. We operate with both company-owned locations and a network of Franchise partners, so we can offer the same energy saving and comfort improving solutions to all our customers. In fact, with GreenHomes’ solutions, we can guarantee at least a 25% reduction in your energy use if you follow our recommendations. We are accredited by the Building Performance Institute, which allows us to offer you some incredible incentives and state and federal tax credits.
How does it work or what is the process?
- First, we schedule a time for one of our certified home energy technicians to perform a Comprehensive Energy Audit.
- Next, our Advisor will complete the Energy Audit, analyze the results, and provide you with a detailed set of recommendations based on your needs and any problems found.
- Next, you decide which of these improvements you would like performed and we will identify the cash incentives and tax credits available for these improvements.
- We will then install the improvements typically in 2-3 days!
- After the improvements are done, we perform a “test out”. Essentially, we perform the same comprehensive audit that we completed at the beginning of the project so you can see the differences before and after the improvements are made. That’s why we can guarantee you a 25% reduction in your energy use when we’re done.
- In addition, we will provide you with a “GreenHomes-Certified” certificate that describes the work done so if you decide to sell your house down the road, you will have proof that your home is much more energy efficient and comfortable than other homes in your neighborhood.
Who will perform the Home Energy Audit?
One of our BPI certified Building Analysts will perform the energy audit and develop an energy efficiency plan for your home. Our Advisors and technicians are very experienced and knowledgeable in building science and can diagnose the issues in your home and make recommendations on how to remedy them.
How much does the Comprehensive Home Energy Audit cost?
Depending on the location, the price may vary. Check with our locations nearest you. In most locations, if you agree to have us make energy and comfort improvements to your home, we will reduce the project price by the cost of the audit.
Do I have to be at home during the Energy Audit?
Yes. In fact, we encourage you and your spouse to be there because both of you are likely to have questions that you’ll want answered.
We will send a certified Home Advisor to perform a whole-house diagnosis to identify the components of your home that are causing high utility bills, drafty rooms, poor indoor air quality, and any other annoyances you have with your home. The audit includes:
- Our building analyst will use a blower-door and manometer to measure your homes’ air leakage levels. The Blower Door simulates a 20-25 mile per hour wind on all sides of your home. Essentially, it acts like a vacuum that pulls air into your house through all the holes, cracks and crevices in your home that are causing drafts and high energy bills. We can then identify these leaky areas.
- We will inspect the quality and quantity of insulation in your walls and attic with an infrared camera. We’ll actually let you use the infrared camera if you’d like. It’s really amazing technology!
- We perform a flue-pressure test to be sure your furnace, boiler, and water heater are venting safely.
- We determine the energy efficiency ratings of your furnace, boiler, water heater, air conditioner, and appliances
- We will perform health & safety tests to ensure you have no gas leaks, ventilation issues, or carbon monoxide problems
- When the audit is complete, the advisor will give you an overview of the issues discovered in your home.
- Lastly, we will return to your home to sit down with you and explain everything we found that is causing excessive utility bills, comfort problems, and structural problems. The advisor will give recommendations on how to fix these problems in the most cost effective way.
- As you can tell, it’s a very comprehensive analysis of your home. It’s like getting a thorough physical exam and cat-scan by your doctor. When we’re done, you’ll know exactly where your home is performing well and where it needs improvements.
- Typically it takes around 90 minutes or so plus time for any questions you may have.
Do I need to do anything before the Advisor gets here?
Yes. First, please have a copy of your monthly and annual utility bills. Second, please make sure that the Advisor will have access to the attic and basement. If your attic access or under-house crawl space access are in a closet, please remove any items that are blocking the access door. Please also take the time to review our video “What To Expect From a Home Energy Audit” in our Video Library section under the Learning Center tab. We have an assortment of videos that will prepare you and assist in the learning of our processes and careful measures.
What products and services do you offer?
- Comprehensive Energy Audits
- Heating and cooling system replacement, service, and tune-ups
- Attic and wall insulation with comprehensive air sealing included
- Water heating solutions – tank, on-demand, and solar hot water
- Windows and doors
- Indoor air quality products such as electronic in-duct air cleaners, advanced filtration solutions, air duct sealing, humidifiers, energy recovery ventilators (ERV) and heat recovery ventilators (HRV)
- Whole-house fans
- High-efficiency pool and spa pumps
- More efficient lighting solutions
- We can even get you new Energy Star appliances such as refrigerators, clothes washers, dishwashers, freezers and dehumidifiers for a discount.
What is BPI? (Building Performance Institute)
BPI, the Building Performance Institute, is a national standards organization for residential energy efficiency retrofit work. They are the leading developer of technical standards for home performance energy audits and installations in North America. BPI also conducts random quality assurance inspections on all of our projects so you can be assured you are getting the highest quality energy improvements possible.
BPI standards are recommended by the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program from the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
How does the 25% Guarantee work?
If our home energy advisor identifies areas of improvement in your home that will save you at least 25% on your heating and cooling energy use and you implement their recommendations, we guarantee in writing at least a 25% savings over the next 2 years. We look at two years of energy use after the improvements are installed to set a benchmark.
In the unlikely event that you do not achieve the 25% savings in energy usage, we will take your monthly utility bill usage less what we said we would deliver and pay you double this difference. We will need your prior 12 months of utility bill usage before the improvements are installed for the baseline and the next 24 months of utility bill usage for the comparison
What if I add a new energy consuming item such as a pool, spa, etc?
If you add an addition to your home, pool, spa, etc., this is not included in the guarantee.
What incentives are available?
Check with the “Government Incentives” section of our website for your particular state. These incentives can often be complicated but we take care of the entire process for you. We have worked with the utility companies, states, and federal government for over ten years
Depending upon which improvements you make to your home this year, the incentives really add up!
In many cities and states, only Building Performance Institute-accredited contractors can provide special cash rebates that are available. To receive these incentives, the first step is to receive a Comprehensive Energy Audit from an accredited building performance contractor. After the Energy Audit, our certified building analyst will provide you with a report of energy saving recommendations and incentives available.